Hobby update April 9

Hi all and welcome to a hobby update!

I finally put paint to brush and made a start on the first bits of the basing theme I have for my Skaven army.

The army will be neutral autumn tones with each clan of rats being a different tone of autumn, reds, yellows, oranges, purples, greens, browns and so forth and for my Verminus (Clanrats and Stormvermin) I chose red as there is something nice about a red Clanrat.

So tonight I painted the bases for the 26 painted clan rats I have been working on so far and I focused heavily on one of my Clawleaders, the leader of the clawpack.

So let’s have a look at some pictures!

The first step, done ages before, is using mod podge to form a basing texture using sand, tiny stones and some larger ones that you can get quite easily as aquarium gravel.

The second step was to paint with a dark brown – my paint of choice is cheap art acrylic (raw umber and just smother it all over, slightly watered down to make it flow into the sand to reaffirm that binding.

The third step is to do a heavy dry brush of the next darker shade of brown I have, burnt umber and try and leave some parts revealing that raw umber colour still.

Then its a repeat of the next few colours, progressively dry brushing lighter and lighter until barely touching the ground (focusing on the rocks where possible). The next colour for us is Burnt Sienna.

Then we hit it with “stone grey”

Next up is “Neutral grey” chosen for its slight warm hues in it.

Then sticking on the miniature, our Clawleader, superglue in this case to bone the raw plastic with the painted surface.

Afterwards more matte mod podge was dabbed onto the surface where I wanted larger rocks (Fine rock) and some super great fine green flock applied overtop and around the rocks (as to not completely hide them). The flock in this case is woodland scenics.

And finally I added a few choice bits of Gale force9 Autumn flock blend (fine consistency, I guess as I have a lot coarser flock there from them too). This was once again secured down with some undiluted mod podge and then had a watered down mod podge wash dabbed over the top.

I am quite happy with how this is looking at the moment, my Rats of Autumn are finally coming together and I am excited to have a full table full of them in their multi-coloured goodness.

This is just one of 26 that I have done, the process taking a few hours over all (paint drying, am I right?) but setting down with a clear goal in mind helped out massively.

Finally, I am not sponsored by any company and bought these quite some time ago but below are the products I called out in the above steps in case you like the look and want to attempt the same.

Thanks for joining me for a bit of this hobby update, I do have some more refining to do and extra bits for my clan rats but am working on provisioning the materials for the extra steps for the basing and extra bits of detail.

Don’t forget to come back tomorrow for the writeup of our weekly adventure and, as always, don’t forget to roll with advantage,
The Brazen Wolfe

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s